- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 1 tablespoon water, or as needed
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 cup diced ham steak
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, or to taste
- Place sweet potato in a microwave-safe bowl; add water and salt. Microwave until partially softened, 2 to 3 minutes; drain.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion in the hot oil until slightly softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir sweet potato, ham, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and salt into onion; cover skillet with a lid. Cook sweet potato mixture, stirring occasionally, until sweet potatoes are cooked through, about 10 minutes; sprinkle with brown sugar. Cook and stir until brown sugar is dissolved, 1 to 2 more minutes.