Frijoles Refritos Recipe
- 2 tablespoons freshly rendered pork lard, bacon fat, or canola or safflower oil
- Frijoles Chinos
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco or queso anejo
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion, if serving in a roll
- Heat the lard in a skillet over low heat, add the beans, and cook, mashing and stirring, until quite dry and a wooden spoon pulled through the center of the beans forms a long canyon, 15 to 20 minutes.
- If preparing the beans central Mexico-style, serve immediately, topped with a little cheese, if desired. If preparing rolled beans, continue to cook until the mass of beans pulls away from the side of the skillet. Shake the pan back and forth, sliding the beans to one side, then tilt the pan so the mass of beans flips over into a roll, like an omelet. A spatula may be used to help turn it. Transfer to a platter, sprinkle with the cheese and onion, and accompany with the totopos.