- 4 thick slices country bread
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- A few fresh sage leaves
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sprinkle the bread with 2 tablespoons of the oil. Toast the slices until crusty and golden.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet, then add the garlic and sage and stir until the garlic begins to brown, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Cook until the liquid is reduced and the soup is slightly thickened, a few more minutes.
- Serve, placing a slice of toast into each soup bowl or generously spooning the beans and broth right over the bread, if the kids will let you.