- 1 pound carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/3-inch-wide pieces
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 Kalamata olives or other brine-cured black olives, pitted, chopped
- Combine carrots, 1/2 cup water, garlic, coriander seeds and crushed red pepper in heavy medium saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook until carrots are crisp-tender, about 7 minutes. Uncover; cook until water evaporates, about 1 minute. Transfer carrot mixture to medium bowl; cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, stir cumin in heavy small skillet over low heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice and oil. Pour over carrot mixture; toss to blend. Cool completely.
- Mix onion and cilantro into carrot mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle olives over salad and serve. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)