Seared Short Rib Recipe
- 2 pounds cross-cut short ribs (flanken or Korean style), each sliced lengthwise about 3/4″ thick
- Kosher salt, ground pepper
- 1 white onion, finely diced
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Heat a large dry cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Alternatively, build a medium-hot charcoal fire, or heat a gas grill to high. Season short ribs generously with salt and pepper. Working in batches, sear ribs until browned, 4-5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place 1 cup cold water and 2 ice cubes in a medium bowl. Add onion; stir, then discard ice and immediately drain well. Transfer onion to a small bowl.
- Trim meat from bones; chop into 1/4″-1/2″ cubes. Transfer to a serving platter (reserve bones for those who like to gnaw on them). Serve with onion and lime.