- 3 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cooked ham
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup oil for frying
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes, and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool and shred.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix milk, butter and garlic. Bring to a gentle boil, then mix in potatoes, ham and Cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reaches a dough-like consistency.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Drop potato mixture by rounded spoonfuls into the oil, and cook, turning once, until lightly browned on both sides.