Plum Carpaccio Recipe
- 1 1/4 lb firm-ripe black or red plums (about 4), halved lengthwise and pitted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 (3-inch-long) fresh rosemary sprig
- 2 tablespoons slivovitz (plum brandy) or grappa
- Special equipment: an adjustable-blade slicer
- Put slicer in a 13- by 9-inch shallow baking dish. Starting with cut side down, slice each plum into near-paper-thin rounds.
- Bring sugar, water, and rosemary to a boil in a small saucepan over moderately high heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in slivovitz, then pour hot syrup over plums. Let macerate at room temperature, gently stirring occasionally, until plums are translucent and softened, about 2 hours.
- Divide plums among 6 plates, overlapping slices slightly, then drizzle with some syrup.