- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F to 115 degrees F)
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk (110 to 115 degrees F)
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add honey; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the milk, molasses, butter, egg, salt and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a 10-in. rope. Shape each rope into a “S”; coil ends until they tough the center. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 35 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.