- 6 cups cubed rutabaga
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 pinch paprika for garnish
- Bring rutabaga to a boil into a large pot of salted water over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir garlic in melted butter until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk flour into garlic mixture until smooth.
- Slowly whisk milk into flour mixture until thickened and creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Stir Cheddar cheese into milk sauce until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Season with cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper.
- Transfer rutabaga to the prepared baking dish. Pour cheese sauce over rutabaga.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs and paprika over rutabaga.
- Bake in preheated oven until sauce is thickened and bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes.