- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 egg
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup raisins
- 7 1/2 cups bread flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in the sugar, salt and shortening; stir until melted. Let cool until lukewarm. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture with the cooled milk mixture and egg; stir well to combine. In a separate bowl, combine carrots, raisins, 2 cups flour, cinnamon, allspice and cloves. Mix together with your fingers until carrots and raisins are coated and separated.
- Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 1/2 hour.
- Deflate dough and allow to rise again until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into two equal pieces and form into loaves. (At this point, you may divide the dough into 12 pieces and form into rolls if you wish.) Place the loaves into two lightly greased 9×5 inch loaf pans. Cover the loaves with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Bake in preheated oven until crust is golden and loaf sounds hollow when tapped.