Cardamom Chai Recipe
- About 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup whole or reduced-fat milk
- Seeds from 1 green cardamom pod, ground
- 2 heaping tablespoons black tea leaves, preferably strong-tasting Assam tea
- 2 teaspoons sugar, or to taste
- Heat the water to a boil. In a separate pan, heat the milk to a boil, stir in the cardamom, cover, and set aside.
- Place the tea leaves in a heavy pot. Pour in a little of the hot water, then pour it off. Add the remaining hot water. Place over medium heat, bring to a boil, and boil for about 30 seconds, then pour the tea through a strainer into a pot.
- Add the hot milk by pouring it through a cloth-lined strainer into the tea. Add the sugar and stir. If you wish to froth the tea, pour the mixture into another pot, then pour it back, continuing until it's frothy.
- Place the pot back over the heat and bring the tea almost to the boil, then pour it into cups.