- 1/3 cup olive oil (75 ml)
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 cooking onion chopped
- 4 clove garlic minced
- 2 eggplant (2 lbs), alternatively peeled in strips and then cubed
- 4 green zucchinis cut into 1 inch cubes
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup water (175 ml)
- 1 yellow pepper ribs and seeds taken out and cut into squares
- 1 red bell pepper ribs and seeds taken out and cut into squares
- 1 orange bell pepper ribs and seeds taken out and cut into squares
- 2 cup tomatoe peeled, seeded and diced (500 ml)
- 1 tsp. dried thyme (5 ml)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil chopped (125 ml)
- In a heavy pot, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onions, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, for about 1 minute. Stir in eggplant and zucchini, season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add 3/4 cup water, cover and simmer until vegetables are beginning to soften, stirring once, about 5 minutes. Stir in bell peppers, simmer covered, until softened for about 7 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and thyme, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Partially cover, simmer, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Garnish with basil.